06.Feb.2012 New Coach: Rod Perry
It's looking very likely Perry will be the new coach tomorrow morning.
On that note, I don't know what to say. It's very underwhelming. On the surface, it doesn't seem good, it doesn't seem bad, it just…is.
Digging a little deeper, I suppose the hire is more negative than positive.
- Perry is old
- He has no track record recruiting
- Colts secondary was never very good
- Another guy from Riley's good ol' boy network
- Seems to have a passive, laid back personality
I'm having a hard time coming up with any positives. I can come up with hypotheticals, such as
- Maybe he'll be a good recruiter (since he has LA ties)
- He has a lot of experience, so he should be a good coach
But I have no idea if any of that is true. The bottom line is that we don't know much about this guy, he seems past his prime, and on the surface it's an underwhelming hire. We're left hoping he's good rather than feeling any excitement.
The take home point is that Riley went after a coach, not a recruiter. Most in Beaverville (I just hate the Beaver Nation "deal") believe we need recruiters. In parting, this hire could have made a splash, but it feels like another Riley kerplunk. Isn't that a neat story?