20.May.2012 Players Leaving the Program
Rivals is confirming a rumor that's been floating around that "several" 3 deep players will be leaving the football program next week. Apparently nobody from the 2 deep, though that isn't confirmed. The reasons for the partings vary from mutual breakups to the coaches' leveling with these guys. A few might be academic casualties as well.
- Riley finally acknowledges he lays ostrich sized eggs in recruiting.
- This frees up scholarships for more talented players.
- The staff wasted time and effort–they should have recognized P-12 talent earlier.
- The program and university invested resources (money, food, equipment, etc) with no return.
- Roster just got younger and less experienced, which could provide excuses down the line.
I'm a big believer in trimming fat, but I'd like to see an official list of names before deciding. Some young guys on the three deep were solid prospects who I wouldn't want to see leave (e.g. Trosin, who I fear is one of them).