29.Dec.2012 Mike Riley Loses the Alamo Bowl
Some obvious gaffs that come to mind:
- Leaving Vaz in too long.
- Timeout debacle #173
- Allowing the QB to get sacked 9 times without using a TE or RB to pass block
- Having Reuben Robinson in pass coverage late in the game
- Having Sean Martin in pass coverage late in the game
- Letting up (this is a pattern) once he has a double digit lead in the 4th. I'd like a stat on how many 2nd half leads Riley has blown. I'd bet it's well above average.
- Texas QB begins to run, Banker & Riley begin to cry
- Another choke in a big game
etc. There are probably many more, have at it.
I tried not to comment during this game. But, I wrote 4. They were, in order:
4:09 Beavs look to be winning both lines and playing with fire.
4:19 Get Vaz out of there.
Man it sucks not having a QB
4:40 Even though Vaz was decent on that last drive, I’d give Mannion a shot. Gotta open up the passing game at some point to keep the run game going. Vaz’s turnovers have held back the play calling.
4:51 A lot of bad coaching. Jeez.
Bendbeaver then shows up and says he doesn't see bad coaching. I didn't feel like ripping him a new one, so I stopped posting and just watched the nightmare that is Mike Riley unfold. I'd say OSU won 9 games in spite of that man, and that's a great job by the players.
By the way, regarding the calls for Mannion…the guy is a turnover machine, let's not act like we have Steve Young riding the pine. Yes, he should have been in the game after the Vaz fumble, but he's not a savior. If neither guy improves this off-season, OSU doesn't have a viable QB.
I don't care what number you want to place on the win cap theory, this was it in action.
Positives: Reuben Robinson's last game