26.Jun.2011 First Annual Angrybeavs Fundraiser
As many of you probably noticed, the site's been down for about 12 hours. My web-host informed me the site was going over the allocated server resources. Strange timing since they shut me down only a few hours after I began the fundraiser.
Anyway, let's move on to the matter at hand. Any donations would be used for the following issues:
- It takes about $120 per year to keep the site running. Maybe more if this host doesn't pan out…
- I'm hoping to hire someone to attend practices and give us constructive criticism once fall camp begins. I was thinking $20 per report would be a fair price and a good gig for a student. If I get enough budget for that I'll do it.
- If you can't afford a donation, contribute in a non-monetary way. Some examples?
- Refer a friend to the site.
- Provide inside information.
- Attend practice and report your observations.
- Donate a dedicated server. 🙂
- Etc. Anything else you can think of to make the site even better.
- Keep in mind that any donation amount helps.
Despite the minimal look of the site, it requires a ton of work. Modifying themes, hacking code, writing all content, filtering emails, verifying leads, heckling the media's incompetence, arguing with my crappy webhost, etc. Since I have about 20 other hobbies, at times churning out opinions and keeping up with the Beavs feels like a chore. But, in general it's still a blast, and I want to continue.
Thanks to a couple generous donations in December, we're good for a few more months (assuming the hosting company keeps my site). But I only want to ask for donations once per year, and I think the slow period between now and fall camp is the best time. Via email, people have suggested I place banner ads or use Google ads…some people even offered a few hundred bucks to put an ad up. I really don't want to go that route–we see ads all day, every day. They're obtrusive and obnoxious. So let's see how this fundraiser goes. If we add to the coffers now I won't have to bring up this (awkward) discussion point for another year.
In summary, if you like the site and have money, give what you can. If you like the site and don't have money, refer a friend or donate some of your time and effort to make it better.
Donators will be thanked in the comment area (unless they specifically ask for anonymity). To make a donation, follow the Paypal button below.