03.Apr.2010 Some Random Notes
Even with spring ball beginning it’s a slow time of year. There isn’t much to write about right now, so I’ll share the notes and observations I’ve collected over the past few days while thumbing through all things OSU.
1. Michael Phillip will have his knee scoped. Rumor is he might need minor surgery. Clearly this is the most disconcerting news from the past few days. You hear one report from source x and another from source y, so who knows? The fact that most agree he won’t return until the fall is a bad sign. It means the injury, whatever it is, is worse than originally thought. The worst part about this is that it’s another position with no depth–Wilder McAndrews now steps in, and he is, simply put, not a good player. I once calculated how much money (in scholarships) OSU has paid McAndrews per down played, and it was close to 10k…that was last year. Probably close to 15k now. Scary-bad investment. I’m sure it will be a day or two before he breaks his arm, and then we’re on to another elite talent in Timi O.
2. The baseball team is treading water. Yes, they took 2 of 3 in the Pac-10 opening series, and it was on the road…bravo. But USC is one of the weaker teams in the conference. My observation early on that the pitching is just good, but not great, is holding true. Good pitching, average-to-good defense, and weak hitting–I’m not sure this is the recipe for success in this conference. I expect a frustrating string of series loses vs the upper echelon with said loses averaging out [with wins] against weaker foes.
3. We’re 3 days into camp, and I’m tired of reading about the “QB controversy”…we just finished going through this with the last batch. Can we please settle on a QB and go with him? Anyone else feel exhausted by the yin/yang of our QB situation the past 4 years?
4. We signed a guy named Ryan Handford. He’s another “under the radar” recruit who I’m told is a late bloomer. After watching his film, he does show some promise. When running he looks like ex-safety Bryan Payton, and when hitting he reminds me of Coy Francies. The curious thing is that the Beavers need help at other positions (i.e. DE, LB) much more than CB. Another funny note about this signing was reported by Cliff Kirkpatrick, who wrote that the Beavers offered Handford because they “liked his Youtube video.”
5. That’s about it, anything else you’d like to discuss go about it in the comments. This Angry Beaver is off to celebrate his birthday.