30.Jan.2015 Recruiting Mission Players
Curious to hear others’ thoughts on this.
Personally, I think a small number (say 2 guys who are high end prospects) is fine during a normal recruiting cycle. But more than that, and the coach begins to really complicate the recruiting chart. According to my research, 20% of mission recruits never play. The other 80% return to football in various forms (from better health to the more common out of shape). Then some lose interest in the game while away.
I posted these links in the last thread:
Bronco realizes if they leave right away there is a much lower chance they ever play. Now wants them to delay mission. Smart.
That is probably a smart tactic to get them 1 year in the program.
I’m worried Gary Andersen is relying too much on Utah. I feel like he’s doing it this cycle because he came in late, so he’s learning on what he knows. Fine. But I hope this trend doesn’t continue. 3 Mission players max. We can’t turn OSU into BYU (Bronce is going mad managing players and scholarships, plus it curbs fan excitement waiting two years to see a guy’s potential; a guy who might never play at all). I’d say cap mission players at 3 max after this cycle.
This isn’t a jab at Mormons, btw. It’s the reality that OSU is running a football program first and foremost. Recruiting is hard enough, and missions just complicate it, and also curb fan enthusiasm.