06.Oct.2011 Arizona @ Oregon State (pre-game)
“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.” – Mahatma Gandhi
Dare I say the Beavers get their first win this weekend?
I know folks are afraid of Nick Foles picking apart the defense. He will get his yards, no doubt. However, the Beavers have a handful of things going in their favor:
- Arizona is the only Pac-12 school with a linebacker slower than Reuben Robinson. This, along with their defensive line play, has lead to an opponents' rushing average of 6.0yd.
- Opponents average 38 points versus the Arizona defense.
- As bad as Mike Remmers is, he won't have to worry about protecting Mannion this weekend. The Wildcats have only 3 sacks on the entire year, while opponents have garnered a whopping 13 versus them.
- With Wynn, Crichton, and Fernando coming on strong, the Beavers should annihilate Arizona's offensive line, in the process marginalizing their all-conference QB.
- Beavers have the home field advantage. Even though the Reser crowd is pretty lame, this is still a minor advantage.
So, all things considered, the lone reason I see to pick Arizona in this game is Foles vs the secondary. Completely valid, but I saw enough from the Beavers young pass rush this past weekend to believe they are coming into this game (a) brimming with confidence and (b) hungry for a win. If they generate a good rush, and they should, then much like last week the secondary will look better. Foles will get his yards, but the defense will keep him in check.
You could see and feel the Beavers growth in the loss to ASU. Their play improved, but more importantly their confidence improved. Assuming the coaches put the right personnel on the field, I absolutely love the Beavers in this game.