23.Nov.2011 Civil War (Pre-Game)
People (or a lone wolf) are calling for a Civil War thread.
I had to decide: do I write about the Civil War or trim my nose hairs, pick the lint out of my belly button, or take a pumice stone to my calloused toes? When presented with those alternatives, I decided to cave in and write about the Civil War.
This one is so easy to predict that I'll just bullet point it:
- Ducks will score early.
- Chip Kelly goes for two, Ducks up 8-0.
- Beavs drive but stall inside the 30, settle for a FG attempt.
- Romaine misses the FG.
- Ducks score, Chip decides to kick the extra point. 15-0.
- Beavs drive again, Riley thinks "We need to get on the board" and settled for a 45 yard FG attempt.
- Romaine kicks a low line drive that hooks just inside the left upright. 15-3.
- Ducks get a monster kick return and regain momentum. James runs for a 50 yard TD. Telecasters gloat "His speed [blah blah blah]…you have to wrap him up."
- Chip goes for two to make it an even twenty. 23-3.
- Mannion leads a good drive. Beavs score. 23-10.
- With a minute and a half left, Ducks have the ball at their 20. Riley thinks they'll take knee and go into the half, but they drive down to the 20 yard line. Only thing that stops another score is the clock, now at 7 seconds. Ducks tack on a FG and regain momentum going into the locker room. 26-10
- Beavs get the kickoff, return it to the 30.
- Mannion throws an interception.
- Ducks score. 33-10
- Beavs defense is tired, bordering on wiped out.
- After a 3 and out by the offense, they have to take the field again.
- Ducks score. 40-10
- Mannion drives the team into FG range. Riley rightfully passes on the FG attempt, goes for it on a 4th and 3. Autzen goes crazy, Remmers false starts. It's now 4th and 8. Mannion completes a 7 yard pass. Ducks ball, turnover on downs.
- Black Mamba gets in on the action, ripping off an 80 yard run. 47-10 Ducks.
- 4th quarter. Beavs are happy the game's almost over. Defense is sucking wind.
- Riley spotted on the sideline laughing it up with Banker. Lip readers think they see a "You'll get 'em next year, Mark"…status-quo advocates rejoice.
- Ducks show some mercy. D. Thomas milks the play clock after each 12 yard run. 4th quarter ends with a whimper and one more score. 54-10, Ducks.