13.Aug.2013 Practice Report #3
Our personal beat reporter, Bone, is back with a highly detailed report. Enjoy.
Cooks an Boldin were returning punts, looks like both of them will be back receiving punts and possibly at the same time. Field goal unit looked good, clean snap to hold to kick. Romaine is kicking field goals very well. Kostol looks very good, and snaps look good.
Reynolds and Hatfield sat out practice; Mullaney, Christian and Cummings were back playing. The first interaction that the quarterbacks and receivers had today was one on ones from about the 5 yard line, so a lot of fades and slants. I got a real good angle of the Gwatchum and Mullaney but the rest of the receivers were on the opposite side of the field. Gwatchum went 1-2 against Nelson, catching a back shoulder fade and then Nelson stepped in front of the pass. Mullany just abused Naji Patrick. Kevin Cummings as well as Victor Boldin did well. After that the team moved into the team session. Vaz and Gwatchum worked with the first team today. The secondary was mostly in the nickel with Nelson, Scott, and Hunt. Reynolds was out and I didn’t see Martin taking any snaps maybe he wasn’t there, but I pretty sure he was. Some other notes: Dylan Wynn was doing a lot of work as an interior d-lineman, probably only going to be for passing downs I’d assume, he seemed to fit there.
Because there is both a quarterback battle I tracked what each play that happened in team or 7 on 7. I had to leave a little early so some of the later stuff I did not see.
Team 11 0n 11
- Completed 6 yard hitch to Gwatchum
- Incomplete to Gwatchum on deep crossing route. Good throw (should have been caught)
- Draw to Ward
- Completed 15 yard corner to Hamlet
- Draw to Brown
- Dumped off to Brown for 10+ yards
- Completed corner route to Boldin for 10 yards. Really nice throw and catch
- Dive to storm for 10+ yards
- Drop of f to the other full back who isn’t TA
- Completed 7yrd. slant route to Cooks
- Dive to Ward for no gain
- Dive to Brown for 10+ yards
- Completion to Boldin on 20 yard comebacker. Really BIG throw, from the far hash.
- Complete on corner route to Mullany. Nice throw and catch.
- Completed to Clute on 8 yard hitch. Safety came in untouched so Mannion may have been sacked
7 on 7
- Complete 15 yard out route to Gwatchum. Really Nice throw and catch.
- Same exact play but this time Cooks
- Incomplete pass to cooks on a deep dig route. Pass was high but should have been caught.
- Completed 6 yard hitch to Hamlet
- Completed 5 yard out to C. Smith.
- Completed 5 yard hitch to Boldin
- Dropped swing pass to Haskins. he looks good running the ball but has had trouble catching the ball.
- Incomplete slant to Boldin. Little low and behind, could have been caught.
- Completed 10 yard hitch to Hamlet
- Incomplete to Cooks on deep out. Pass was short and behind Cooks.
- Completed 20 yard out to Boldin. Great throw.
- Another dropped pass by Haskins
- Incomplete to Boldin
- Incomplete corner route to Gilmore, lead him too much and was short.
- Completed 15 yard out to Cooks, really nice throw and anticipation.
- Sacked, but scrambled for a first down.
- Completed deep crossing route to Caleb Smith. Might have been sacked though, one player broke through.
- To high for Gwatchum on deep crossing route. Incomplete
- Incomplete pass to Boldin on deep comeback route, just a tad high for him.
- Perfeclty thrown deep ball to Cooks with Nelson in great coverage. Greatly placed by Vaz
- Completed wheel route to Storm for a good pick up
- Incomplete pass to Cook on deep hitch. Really inaccurate throw.
- Completed crossing route to Mullany.
- Complete to Brown out of backfield, nice pick up
- Perfectly thrown 10 yard hitch to Boldin but dropped.
After watching 4 practices, with each quarterback getting 2 sessions with the first team, Mannion has been more impressive. On days when he is with the first team the offense looks better and you can see separation between the first and second team. When Vaz is with the first team, both teams look almost identical. Also Vaz has turned the ball over during the 4 practices that I attended. As for Mullany and Gwatchum, I don’t think the coaches need to rush to make a decision here, both are playing really well and it might be a good idea for them to get equal amount of snaps the first game or two. I feel we will get a quarterback answer very soon.