06.Dec.2009 Holiday Bowl
Welp, there’s a glimmer of hope.
The Holiday Bowl indicated to Olivas it will take USC if it beats Arizona but hasn’t made a decision between Arizona, Oregon State, Cal or Stanford in the event of an Arizona win.
With the USC loss and Cal now losing, my feeling on this:
1. Arizona has the head to head vs the Beavers, so they should go, but…
2. Oregon State was playing Oregon for the Rose Bowl, suggesting they’re the 2nd best team in the conference.
3. OSU travels well, has a lot of alumni in California, and would bring in more money via flights, hotels,etc. Arizona fans could make a day trip and not spend the night.
4. Stoops vs Stoops is a plausible matchup in the Sun Bowl, one for which I’d think the selection committee would lobby.
5. The Holiday Bowl representative at the Civil War said he loved the Beavers and they got his vote, but others on the committee dissented. The telecasters during the USC/Arizona game said, “The winner of this game is going to the Holiday Bowl.” Not sure if that was inside information or just ignorant assumptions.
6. I have no idea where Stanford fits into the picture. They might like the idea of having a Heisman candidate in the game. Quiz has some appeal in that regard, but not as much, and again they bowl would lose on a lot of possible income.
The bowl matchups will be announced tomorrow night. Cross your fingers, but don’t hold your breath.