17.Oct.2015 Washington State Post Game Thoughts
- I was a huge Gary Andersen fan. That cooled off quite a bit today. Gotta play the backup QB in this game and get them experience. Not only this, but he panicked and made several horrible coaching decisions.
- Onside kick when his team gained momentum.
- Punt fake on 4th and 2 inside the opponent’s 20.
- These two calls alone resulted in a 10 point swing.
- Did not give his backups valuable experience they will need down the road.
- Not overriding Sitake and that awful 4-2-5 that was leaving gaping holes early in the game.
- Slow to make personnel changes on defense, leaving Fred L at guard, etc.
- Seth Collins must be benched. I won’t be watching the Colorado game, or any other game, if Seth Collins is the QB. I said at the beginning of the year, this QB battle would take 6+ weeks to pan out. Here we are week 6, and it is very clear to me Collins is not a D1 QB. No other team in the conference offered him as a QB. He throws off his back foot, he runs in circles, he misses easy completions giving the WRs no opportunity for YAC, and he is now throwing interceptions (which I said, he was long overdue for and getting lucky early in the year).
- Seth Collins is dangerous — he might actually get a WR/RB seriously injured (concussions, spinal injury) or killed. It is irresponsible to play this guy. I don’t care if it’s McMaryion, Mitchell, or even VanderVeen. Someone else has to run this ship purely for safety reasons.
- This defense is awful, but in the second half when the personnel changed and Washington State gave up, they did look better, so I’d start those guys next week. I mean why not? Sure, most of that was WSU giving up, but those players were at least competing.
This team is very bad. I thought the coaching staff would be good for several wins, but now I don’t think that. These coaches…well, we are learning about them still, but I used to think extremely highly of GA. I thought he was a perfect coach, tbh. From what I saw today, they are flawed in that (a) they stick with ‘their guys’ too long but are willing to change out Riley’s guys, which is obviously going to lose the team because it’s favoritism (b) slow to make in-game changes (c) impatience/frustration that leads to hasty/risky coaching decisions (d) need to look in the mirror, because a lot of today came down to coaching (e) piss poor play calling, that GA delegates to Baldwin and then never overrides? Simply can’t have a QB running the ball 25 times.
Speaking of which, this is a FINESSE team. Holy crap, it might be the most finesse offense in all of NCAA sports. Even the two point conversion required some type of double pass, trick play. This is the anti Stanford, anti Michigan, etc. People say the Ducks are soft? No, this is soft. This is softer than Riley’s offense, if we are being honest.
Overall, this game went nothing like I envisioned. Boy was I wrong.
I’m not jumping ship on GA entirely, but I definitely need to reassess. He has some major flaws that are coming out as we go. Saying he takes accountability isn’t enough. It’s not that the Beavers lost, but how they lost, and how he managed the game and the personnel that I am so bearish on.